My Dog Ate Ant Trap Indoxacarb, What Shall I Do Now?

0
247
My Dog Ate Ant Trap Indoxacarb, What Shall I Do Now?

Dog Ate Ant Trap Indoxacarb, What Shall I Do Now?

Ant trap Indoxacarb usually contains substances that are attracted to ants. The worker ant signals the other worker ants to go eat the delicious bait, and then takes it home. The insecticide-infused bait acts slowly, causing the worker ants to feed and carry the mixture back to the nest and its occupants, including the queen.

Unfortunately, these stinky traps also attract pets, especially food-loving dogs. Swallowing an ant trap Indoxacarb may not be poisonous to your dog, but the pesticides and greasy substances inside can make your dog sick and cause diarrhea and neurological issues. If your pet is ingesting multiple traps, you will need to visit the veterinarian for a  foreign material that may block the intestines. If there’s stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea or vomiting, take your dog to the clinic immediately.

How do ant traps work? 

Ant traps are fairly simple. Certainly, they are made up of a plastic shell that contains some toxic food inside. Foraging ants accidentally get caught in the trap and take some of the tainted food, and bring it back to the nest, where it is shared with the rest of the ants. The poisons used are relatively slow-acting to give the ants time to bring a significant amount of food back to the nest before dying.

Why to do if your dog eats ant poison? 

There are two main reasons why many dogs chew ant traps: 

1) It smells delicious 

Most ant traps contain smelly food, such as peanut butter or breadcrumbs, to attract ants’ attention. However, many dogs also find the smells from these traps intriguing and decide to taste them.

2) Dogs navigate objects with their mouths

Dogs find ant traps while roaming the house and, like many new ones, they often decide to test them with their nose and mouth. This often results in trap licking and chewing, and some even swallow the trap in the process.

Best tips to follow if the dog ate an ant trap

  • Pay attention to sudden changes in dog’s behavior

Immediately after completely ingesting the ant trap or any material found inside, check to see if your dog has clear eyes and a reaction. Most importantly, tail wags and playful behavior are signs that your dog does not need immediate medical attention. The most important thing is to pay attention to sudden changes in behavior. If you suddenly have severe abdominal pain, vomiting, or weakness, call your veterinarian or an ambulance.

  • Pay special attention to your dog’s mouth  

Once you have assessed the damage, examine carefully how much ant bait trap has been eaten or swallowed by your dog. Many ant traps come in hard plastic or metal cases that can cut your dog’s mouth, break a tooth, or get stuck in his throat. If you notice your dog salivating heavily or coughing constantly, contact your veterinarian immediately. A veterinarian can calm a dog in trouble so that the trapped object can be safely removed. Don’t try to remove a foreign object from your dog’s throat by yourself!

  • Contact your local pet veterinarian

The Pet Poison Helpline team is made up of veterinarians and toxicologists to determine if your pet needs treatment after ingesting a toxic substance. Before calling, make sure you have gathered as much information as possible about what and how much you swallowed. In your situation, the hotline team must know or identify the brand name of the active ingredient used in the ant trap. It is often mentioned on the ant trap itself or somewhere on the packaging. “Raid” is a common ant trap, which incorporates an active ingredient called “spinosad”. Other ant traps may include an insecticide called avermectin or indoxacarb. Homemade traps made with borax are poisonous and can damage your dog immediately.

  • Keep all ant traps away from dog’s reach

Now the most important thing is to make sure your dog cannot use the ant traps in your house in the future. Ant traps can be placed inside cabinets and pantries or other places where doors need to be opened to reach them. Rooms and spaces with floor ant traps should become your dog’s official no-go areas or at least spaces where the dog will be watched with a very careful eye and careful. Indoxacarb, an anti-parasitic drug if taken in very high doses, is toxic and can cause neurological effects to dogs. Although ant traps contain very small amounts of indoxacarb, the actual risk of toxicity is very low unless your dog eats multiple traps.

  • Choose a dog-safe way to protect your home from ants 

We can suggest alternative methods to protect your home from ants. Most importantly, make sure the food preparation area is clear of debris to prevent small intruders from encroaching on your space. It is also best to store all pantry items in properly sealed containers.

Preventive measures to keep your dog safe

If you need to use ant traps or other methods to get rid of bugs in your home or yard, make sure the traps or substances you use are harmful if they come into contact with your pet. Although many foods today aren’t particularly toxic to pets, consuming ant killers can harm your dog’s digestive system. If your dog has ingested any items or substances used to control insects, monitor the dog closely and see a veterinarian if symptoms of gastrointestinal disturbances occur. Don’t forget to place insect traps and poisons out of reach of pets to avoid possible harm.

How to safely use an ant trap around a dog?

Using an ant trap in your home can be intimidating, but you still need to get rid of the pest. There are several ways you can safely use and drive your dog if you take precautions. The first thing you can do is scout the place before bringing the ant trap home. The best place is that where your dog can’t get in, such as under a TV  or in a kitchen cabinet. Another smart way to track traps is to record where you place them. You’ll never forget where they are, and you can safely remove each trap when it no longer works, which usually happens after a few months.